Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Whole Wheat Pita Bread Pizza

Photo by Andrew Scott. Flickr
There's often times when I'm too busy to make a huge meal, so whole wheat pita pizza is a healthy and easy alternative, rather than taking the time to make a pizza from scratch. One Huge advantage to making this type pizza as an appetizer for your guests, is everyone will like it. I have yet to meet someone who dislikes pizza. This is an easy to make side dish, appetizer or main meal, which is also absolutely mouth watering. This dish will only take about 5 minutes to put together and an additional ten minutes to bake.
Ingredients;
4 slices of purchased whole wheat pita bread (which ever size you prefer)
Extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 to 2 thinly sliced tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese
A dash of crushed red pepper (optional)
Mozzarella cheese
Pre heat oven to 375. Spray a large baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Place your pita bread onto the sheet in a single layer. Start by adding the olive oil to each slice, while at the same time spreading it around with a spoon. After you've finished spreading the olive oil on your pizzas, sprinkle the minced garlic evenly over the top of them. Add your sliced tomatoes onto each piece in a single layer. Drizzle a bit more olive oil over the pizzas, then add the fresh basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, parmesan cheese and crushed pepper if desired. Place them in the oven for eight minutes. After eight minutes are up, remove the sheet and sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese over the top of them. Place them back in the oven for an additional two minutes. When they are done, remove them from the oven and let them sit for five minutes before serving. You can either serve them whole or cut into slices.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like taking one of those pieces of pizza right out of the picture and munching it.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, Pita bread can be so addicting to eat. I also love to eat wheat pita bread as a side along with vegetable soup or hummus.

Jan said...

Lydia..we love pizza at our house, and this is definitely something that we will enjoy.

I love the way that you present your recipes..it would be hard not to understand them!

Thanks!

Lydia said...

Hi Jan, This is a great recipe that everyone will enjoy. You can also add more toppings if you like. I'm very pleased that you think my recipes are presented well. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hello Lydia,
here is another haiku I wrote for you:

smell of pita bread
wafting through the house in fall -
children will eat soon.

Lydia said...

Thank you Olivia. This Haiku also seems to fit the chilly Autumn weather now setting in.

Linda G. said...

Hi Lydia. I found you through Olivia, and I'm glad I did! Two of my Granddaughters will be staying with me for a week in October. They love pizza and they love cooking,so this will be a perfect dish for them to prepare.
Thank you!

Lydia said...

Hello, I'm happy you found me. This is a wonderful and fun dish for children and teens to make. I also have a very easy pear pie recipe I'll be putting on my blog in october, that may be fun for for children to make. It can be made with either pear,apple or peaches.

Anonymous said...

"Health is wealth" is known to all and everyone wants good health. So, Let us build a food habit discipline, keep pace with work, rest and or exercise to Achieve good health, The ultimate wealth.

The Health Dude