Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Abstract Of A Tree Trunk

This is a composition I did back in the summer of 1997. It's an abstract charcoal drawing of a tree trunk. Don't ask me what inspired me to create this piece, because I simply don't know. One hot summer afternoon I was lounging around in the backyard of our first home. I was admiring the shapes and designs from the tree trunks of my basswood trees, that were towering over my back lawn. A half hour later I had this itch to go inside, grab my pastels and some paper, so I could see what I would be able to come up with from the shapes on the tree trunks I had been studying. This picture was the end result. Everyone who views it, sees something different within my drawing. Oddly enough my husband sees me. To this day, I myself still don't know what I see in it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see a knot, Lydia, and some elegant curves.

What an interesting piece of art. Your garden gives you some wonderful motives, doesn't it?

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, I love to be inspired by nature. There is so much we can learn through our natural world, if only we can let go of materialistic thoughts long enough, so we can notice the lessons and messages nature has to offer us.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lydia,
you are right, letting go of materialistic thoughts is very important. I tend to forget that, being a rather materialistic Taurus woman.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, From your interests, talents and hobbies I can tell that you are very much intune with the natural world around you.

Anonymous said...

I try to stay in tune with nature, Lydia. Sometimes I forget to go for a walk outside though, when I sit at the computer, writing away ...

sue said...

Gorgeous. I see a woman's figure in it, also...

Lydia said...

Hi Sue, I'm glad you like this piece. My hubby sees the same as you see in this charcoal drawing.