Friday, September 14, 2007

Baked Pumpkin


Photo by MesmanImages. Flickr
Pumpkins which belong to the squash family, become a huge hit during the autumn months. Many of us purchase these large bright orange vegetables for decorating purposes only. What we fail to realize is, that these Halloween favorites are loaded with disease fighting anti oxidants, making them very beneficial to us, if we add them to our diets.
This tasty pumpkin recipes I would like to share with you, is very simple. I make it all the time, while pumpkins are in season. You will need to pick out a small to medium sized pumpkin that's deep in color and firm to the touch. When cooking smaller pumpkins, they tend to be tastier and not as watery as the larger ones.

Ingredients;

1 small to medium size pumpkin, pulp and seeds removed

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 tsp all spice

1/4 cup of brown sugar

1/3 of a stick of butter or margarine

Salt and pepper to taste

Pre heat your oven to 400. Wash and cut the top off of the pumpkin. Remove the pulp and seeds, reserving the seeds for roasting if desired. Place the top back on the pumpkin and wrap it well with foil. Put the pumpkin in a baking dish and place it in the oven. Baking time will be about an hour or more depending on the size of your pumpkin. Remove from the oven when your pumpkin is soft to the touch. Let it cool for about 20 minutes. Once cooled remove the foil and start scooping the flesh out of the pumpkin. Put the flesh in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients to your bowl and mash everything together well. This side dish pairs nicely with many entrees.

.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love dishes spiced with cinnamon, coriander, curry and saffron. They taste oriental to me.
The pumpkin patch with the oak tree looks beautiful, a motive for a painting, Lydia.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, The Spices in these pumpkin recipes are perfect autumn and winter spices to consume, because if eaten enough, they tend to ward off colds and other viruses. I'll consider a painting inspired by the photo on my post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

could you maybe place another pumpkin photo between the two recipes to make it clear that you are giving two different ones?

Jan said...

Both recipes sound delicious, Lydia.

I especially like the taste of tumeric, and use it in a lot of dishes.

The picture is pretty, too.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, Yes I will work on that. I should have done that to begin with.

Lydia said...

Hi Jan, I also love turmeric and use it often. It's very good for you too. Thanks for liking my photo. I use many of the photos on my blog from flickr. They have very talented people submitting their work for others to use.

sue said...

Mmmmm.....

You know, I eat lots of squash but never thought of baking a pumkin! Of course, I make lots of things with pumpkin like bread and pies, but just to bake one? Never entered my mind. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm eager for them to get ready now so I can try it!

Lydia said...

Hi Sue, You'll love baked pumpkin by following either of these recipes. It's just as good with salt, pepper and butter if you want to make it real simple.