Thursday, October 25, 2007

Talcari


Photo by cwills. Flickr
Our dear friend from St. Lucia invited me and my husband over for some home cooked West Indian cuisine this past weekend. The meal he made us was absolutely incredible. One of the dishes he served for dinner was called "Talcari," which Is made with butternut squash. Talcari is served over basmati rice, or used as a dip with whole wheat pitta bread. We had it both ways and either way is delicious.
Our friend told us of an island tradition behind this butternut squash dish, the St. Lucian locals call "Talcari." He began by telling us, on the anniversary of a loved one's death, this meal is made for dinner, accompanied by sliced pita bread for dipping purposes. At midnight they go the deceased person's grave and place a plate of Talcari on top of the grave. After returning from the cemetery, the family gathers around to eat more Talcari and pita bread, as a way of honoring the soul of the deceased. I love to learn about different cultures and their customs, so I'm very happy he told us of this tradition. Another reason why I'm so thankful to him is, he gave me the recipe, so I could share it with those who may be interested in trying an exotic twist to butternut squash. He was kind enough to give me all the measurements. I decided to make this last night and it turned out perfect.
Ingredients;
1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced in small cubes
Olive Oil
1/4 cup scallions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp black pepper or more to taste
1 tsp salt or more to taste
1 1/2 tbs curry powder
1 tbs turmeric
1/2 cup of water
1 tbs cumin
In a large skillet, pour enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat oil over medium heat. After the oil is heated, add onions and scallions. Saute them for about ten minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the minced garlic to the pan and saute for an additional 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Add the curry powder and turmeric to the pan. Keep stirring the spices into the vegetables, until you start smelling the aroma of the spices. Add the diced squash to everything and cover for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take 1/2 cup of water and stir it into the squash. Continue to stir often while everything is cooking covering the pan afterwards. Once the squash starts to soften, stir in the cumin and start mashing it. Lower the heat to medium low and let simmer, covered. You'll continue to stir and mash often, until the squash is done. You may need to add more olive oil, salt and pepper, a few times while cooking, to adjust the taste. Talcari is best served over brown basmati rice, on top of whole wheat pita bread, or by itself.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting custom on St. Lucia to honor the dead by having a feast. There is a similar Celtic custom over here in Europe. On Halloween a plate of food is put out for the ancestors' souls and candles are lighted to show them the way.

Oswegan said...

That sounds incredible. I love Indian food.

Oops, is Indian the same as West Indian - or does that mean West Indies?

I feel like such a dumb American some days, I don't even think I know where St. Lucia is.

I am going to try the recipe though, because it sounds delish.

~Oswegan

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, I love to hear of all the different customs and traditions that others practice around the globe. The celtic custom does sound very similar to the St. Lucians tradition of honoring their dead once a year.

Lydia said...

Hi Oswegan, If you like indian, than you'll love this and it's easy for us americans to make. This is a lot like east indian. The reason why, is that many natives of St. Lucia have a strong ancestry from those who came from India their families. Many of my friend's meals taste just like an indian restaurant's would. Believe me, we never turn down an invitation for dinner when he invites us.

sue said...

Mmmmm... that sounds so good! I love squash.

My eldest son and his bride are going to St. Lucia for their honeymoon!

Lydia said...

Hello Sue, I want to go there someday. Our friend showed us many pictures of the island and it's just beautiful. I'm sure you son and his future wife will have a great time there.

Lady Prism said...

I too have had my taste of indian food sometime last week!!..Wonderful!!

Lydia said...

Hello Lady Luxie, Indian food is just so good. I love the spices that go in it.

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.