Friday, October 12, 2007

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


Photo by Don Andre. Flickr

Pumpkin seeds are a great autumn snack. Not only are they packed with vitamins B and E, they are also very high in Zinc. Pumpkin seeds have a balanced source of good proteins, making them a good choice for vegans to choose as a snack or an additional topping on their salads. If I haven't convinced you to try these tasty little seeds yet, then I must inform you that in some countries pumpkin seeds are know to be an aphrodisiac. Now that that's said, I strongly encourage you to get yourself to a grocery store, or local farm stand, so you can pick up a pumpkin of any size and start reaping the rewards that this brightly colored autumn squash has to offer you.

By following these very easy roasting instruction you will have a tasty little snack in no time. Pre heat your oven to 400. Cut the top of a pumpkin and clean out the insides. Collect all the seeds you've removed and rinse the pulp off of them in a colander. Reserve the meat of the pumpkin for later use. After you have rinsed the seeds, dry them well with paper towels. Place the dried seeds on a flat baking sheet, then sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt. Mix everything together well before popping them into the oven. While they're baking, you will need to stir them around often to prevent them from burning. Remove your seeds from the oven after ten minutes or until they are nicely browned. Letting them cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to another container, will make them crispier. After removing them from the pan, store them in an airtight container.

Many times I've placed small dishes of pumpkin seeds on the tables where my guests would be socializing . By doing this, I've found many people actually enjoyed picking at them while chatting away.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an easy, fast snack, Lydia, and the heart-shaped arrangement of pumpkin seeds on the photo looks nice.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, This snack is so healthy and fast, it's worth trying. I also liked the heart shaped pumpkin seeds on the blue wooden back ground. I thought it was unique and rather artsy. I picked the photo from flicker.

Anonymous said...

We always roast our seeds when we carve pumpkins for halloween. I love them!

Lydia said...

Hi Sue, I think they're the perfect fall snack. It's a waist to throw away the delicious seeds of a pumpkin after carving it. Your also giving your body a nice vitamin boot by eating them.

Jan said...

Lydia, you make everything sound delicious!

Now I want some pumpkin seeds to snack on! :)

Lydia said...

Hi Jan, Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Well, Lydia, flickr seems to be a good address to get photos. I usually go to Wikipedia, they have nice pictures, too. Still haven't bought that cheap digital camera which I'd need to produce my own photos.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, I need to start trying to take more of my own photos too. There's a hand full of photos on some of my blog posts, that are actually my own.

Anonymous said...

I have not even learned yet how to place photos on my blog, Lydia. I have my student Stefan to do that. He gets paid by the hour and loves his little extra job.

I am so busy writing on my new novel that I'd rather not spend too much time on other things.

But some day, some day ---
that's what I keep telling myself.
I am glad I learned how to blog, writing my own texts and giving comments to other interesting blogs like yours.

linda said...

I am going to do this one - I always make pumpkin soup. How delicious it sounds.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, I also love visiting your blog, it's very interesting. I'm sure you're a very bussy woman, writing your novels. I would actually love to purchase one, even though I can't read German. I've see the covers to your other novels that you've already written on your blog and I love the artwork on them.

Lydia said...

Hi Linda, I love pumpkin soup too. I am going to try and place a halloween soup recipe on my blog by the end of this month. In this soup recipe you cook it right inside the pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,
it is high time for a haiku again:

seeds from a pumpkin
heart-shaped, full of promises -
health, love and long life

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, Thank you, this Haiku has a very nice saying within it.

Anonymous said...

I admire you for your many vegetarian recipes, Lydia. I hope that your cookbook will come out some day so you can share them with the public.

Did you know that Nobel Prize winner Albert Einstein was a vegetarian, too?

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of live on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." (Albert Einstein, 1879-1955)

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, What an interesting find about Albert Einstein. I never know he was a vegetarian. I keep working on my cookbook, so I'm hoping to get it done.

Oswegan said...

I love roasted pumpkin seeds. We just got our pumpkins yesterday for the pumpkin party. I have to remember to save the seeds.

~Oswegan

Lydia said...

Hi Oswegan, Your having a pumpkin party? Sounds like fun! Have a great time. Pumpkin seeds would be a perfect snack for your party.