Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halloween Stew


Photo by Jacob L. Barr. Flickr
With Halloween just around the corner, it's fun serving a few festive meals to get everyone in the mood to celebrate, when this ghoulish holiday arrives. One recipe that's worth it's prep time, is Halloween stew. Not only is it fun to make, just think of all the antioxidants and vitamin packed nutrients your giving yourself while eating this delicious meal. I would like to share this recipe with you, because I know you won't be sorry you've made it, once you try it.
Ingredients:
4 small pumpkins, with insides cleaned out and their tops set aside
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Large Leek, chopped
2 medium cooking onions
6 medium cloves of garlic
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium parsnips, chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 tbs dried basil
1 tbs sage
1 tbs Italian seasoning
2/3 cup crushed tomatoes
4 cups of vegetarian vegetable broth
2 bay leaves
1 can cannelloni beans (optional)
Romano cheese (optional)
Shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean out each pumpkin, removing the seeds. After they're clean, coat them with olive oil and set them on a baking sheet, sprayed with non stick cooking spray. Place their coated tops in front of them on the sheet. Put the baking sheet in the oven and set your timer for 15 minutes. When the 15 minutes are up remove the pumpkins form the oven and set them aside, until your ready to fill them. Meanwhile, set the stove to medium and pour some olive oil into the bottom of a sauce pan. Heat the oil, then add the chopped leeks and onions. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper and saute uncovered for about 10 minutes. When the onions and leeks have softened, add the chopped garlic, carrots, parsnips, celery, and all the spices to the pan, except for the bay leaves. Continue to saute uncovered over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring often. You may need to add more olive oil along with more salt and pepper to the vegetables. When the vegetables start to become tender, add 4 cups of vegetable stock, 2/3 cups of crushed tomatoes and bay leaves to the mixture. You may also add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Bring the stew to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes. When the time is up, remove the pan from the stove and stir in a can of beans if desired. Salt and pepper the insides of each pumpkin and fill the cavity with stew. When they're all full, sprinkle the tops with Romano cheese and pop them in the oven uncovered for 45 minutes, on the middle rack of the oven.
When everything is done, remove the pan from the oven and carefully place each pumpkin into a serving bowl. Sprinkle each pumpkin with mozzarella cheese, then carefully place their cooked tops on them and serve. For some fun ideas on how to decorate the table you'll be serving this witches brew on, try placing a lit jack-o-lantern in the middle of the table, with additional Halloween voltives lit around the room you'll be dining in. This would be a great way to get most people into the spirit of Halloween.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

a halloween brew
round and round the cauldron go
eating pumpkin soup

Lydia said...

Thank you so much for your creative Haiku Olivia. It very much fits making this halloween meal, on one of these dark and gloomy evenings.

Amber Cargile said...

Oh Lydia, this sounds like something my kids would love! Great idea! So am I understanding that I am not to reserve the actual pumpkin meat to use in the soup? This is a vegetable bean soup that is served in the pumpkin shell?

Lydia said...

Hello Amber, Your kids will love this stew. They'll especially love eating it out of the pumpkin. The only thing I take out of the pumpkins before making this stew, is the seeds and the stringy pulp that sticks to the seeds. The meat can actually be scraped and eaten along with the stew. I eat everything but the skin, when having this dish. My kids only eat the stew, because they're not big on the meat of the pumpkin. The nice thing about this recipe is, that you can eat the meat of the pumpkin if you want,or just eat the stew out of the pumpkin and discard the rest after your finished eating it.

sue said...

I love stews and soups and this looks really fun with the pumpkins. I think my grandson would love helping to make this! Can't wait to try it one of these cool fall nights~~

Lydia said...

Hello Sue, I love eating stews and soups too, especially in the fall and winter. My kids actually have more fun making This recipe and seeing in their bowls, than they do eating it.

Oswegan said...

I love anything with pumpkin in it.

Except Chinese food.

Great photo Lydia and thanks for the fun recipe.

~Oswegan

Lydia said...

Hi Oswegan, I also love many pumpkin dishes. Your very welcome. This is great to make with kids.

Anonymous said...

Thank you... I think my daughter would love this!

Online Business Opportunity said...

Hi friend! I have visited your site. Very Informative. Thanks for sharing. I have added you as a friend and joined your community. Please read Carefully High quality herbal products, Developed to enhance your life and better your health. Visit my Blog :-
http://debajitbasu70.blogspot.com

http://naturalhealthtyliving.blogspot.com

http://caretowealth.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

Mrs Sharon Sim said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.