Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Sunflowers

My sunflowers are in full bloom and they're absolutely beautiful. My husband took the photo displayed on this post from my garden yesterday. It's very important for the other plants in your garden to get pollinated by bees, therefore sunflowers are an ideal choice for this purpose. Bees as well as butterflies swarm around the large yellow flower heads of these plants all day long during the summer months. What a blessing it is for me, to sit and watch nature, with all it's wonders at work, while at the same time reaping the benefits of my garden, along with the healthy meals that come from it.
My sunflowers are planted directly behind my Italian pole beans. I use their large stalks for my beans to vine up. Practicing this method saves me time and money. When planting time rolls around, I plant one row of Italian pole beans, then with the next row close behind, I plant sunflowers until I end up with at least eight altrinating rows.
It's pretty interesting to look at once they are both grown and coexisting happily together through out the summer season. It's also pretty neat walking inbetween the rows of towering mammoths, so I can collect all of the huge beans hanging off of their stalks.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sunflowers look huge, almost like giants. How high do they grow?

Olivia

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, they can get up to 7 feet tall.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a poem about sunflowers in German.

Here is the translation:

golden faces
at the edge of the field
standing tall
turned to the sun

brown hearts
contain seeds
food for birds
full of hope

Lydia said...

Olivia, this is such a cute poem. I am always amazed to see how a sunflower will turn it's face as the sun moves through out the sky during the day. This is another reason why I plant these huge flowers every summer. One of these summers, I may take a break from my veggies and just plant different varieties of sunflowers through out my garden.

Anonymous said...

Do you collect the sunflower seeds? I find their taste delicious and use them for mixed salads.

Olivia

Lydia said...

Yes, I love eating sunflower seeds. I let my sunflowers dry out while still in my garden so the birds can eat them. I love baking pumpkin and saving their seeds so that I can roast them with a little olive oil and sea salt for a fall treat too.

Anonymous said...

I also love pumpkin seeds, roasted and salted.

Fall is such a wonderful season, isn't it?

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, Yes fall is a wonderful season. It's my favorite time to share a good bottle of wine and a good meal with a few close friends on those crisp autumn weekends.