Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Halloween Witch Drawing

October is one of my favorite months. My birthday falls in this month and so does my favorite holiday, Halloween. Autumn is so pretty as the leaves from the trees are turning all different Hughes of red, orange, brown and yellow. During the month of October, the weather is still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors and admire all of the wonderful changes occurring in nature. There's nothing better than eating a baked butternut squash, or some spiced pumpkin along side of some hearty vegetable stew, accompanied by a tall glass of fresh apple cider from the local apple store on those crisp Autumn evenings, as the days begin to shorten.

October has one of the prettiest full moons out of the whole year, which is called the Harvest Moon. It's been said that farmers use to harvest their crops late into the evening during the Harvest Moon, because the moon was very bright during this time, which made it easier for them to pick their crops well after dark.

Visiting the pumpkin patch to pick out our jack-o-lanterns is a very exciting day for our whole family. We like to make a whole day out of it by going on a hayride, getting our pumpkins, drinking hot mulled apple cider afterwards, picking up winter squash, gourds and apples that same day, then later returning home for a tasty autumn meal.

There are many costumes for children to choose from on Halloween. My daughter has a very hard time deciding what she wants to be. It's so fun getting my children ready to go out trick or treating. Just walking around and seeing everyone in their costumes, running from different houses to see who can get the most candy makes for a great evening. The drawing displayed above is a charcoal I did a month ago. It's called "The Halloween Witch." Hopefully, I will get time to finish two more charcoals I have in mind, so I can complete my "Halloween Witch" series.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

I like your charcoal Halloween witch.
Today I got some pumpkins for display on the terrace. They are sitting between the chrysanthemums, laughing at me.

Anonymous said...

I love fall. It can't come soon enough for me!

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, Thanks for liking my work. Pumpkins look so nice when they're displayed. I keep some uncarved, so I can keep them on my porch until the winter solstice begins.

Lydia said...

Hi Sue, Summer and fall are both my favorite seasons, but I just love October the most.

Anonymous said...

when I look at all the photos of your artwork on this blog, Lydia, I get the idea that you could start your own artist's website showing your complete artwork all together, like Ursel Dörr does on her painter's website.

Have you visited her? I have a link on my blog. She tells about her development as a painter, the courses she took, the exhibitions she had, and groups her paintings according to different themes.

Why don't you start something similar to that? I think that would be a great step up the ladder as a professional painter, getting your artwork organized and putting it on show.

It might also help you finding a publisher for your project of "butterly knowledge cards" if they see that you have a professional artist's homepage.

Lydia said...

Hi Olivia, I have visited Ursel Dorr's web page. She is a very talented artist. I loved looking at her work. Thank you for your Idea. Maybe I will consider making a web page for my art one of these days. I may also add my work to my jewelry web page.