Tuesday, August 7, 2007

GARDEN FRESH SALSA


Photo by Renoir Girl. Flickr

Summer is the season when many folks have the opportunity to get their hands on locally grown tomatoes, either from farm stands or their own gardens. This salsa recipe I'm about to share with you is a must to try , with your favorite tortilla chips.

Ingredients;

4 cups chopped tomatoes

1 cup diced onions

1 large chopped jalapeno pepper

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1 Tbs chopped parsley

1 Tbs garlic

1 1/2 tsp of salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 tsp hot sauce

1 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice

1 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil

Combine all of the ingredients together and chill for 4 hours or more. Serve and enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

cilantro -
I can't find the word in my dictionary. Is there another term for it?
We don't have this herb in Germany, at least I have never seen it. Is it Mexican?

Olivia

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

just found the word in the Wikipedia online-dictionary.

we call it Coriander here, Latin: Coriandrum sativum.

It is also used in Eastern cuisine, Thai, Vietnamese and Indian dishes.
The leaves are called Chinese parsley or Mexican parsley.

I have powder of ground coriander root, but I seldom use it.
It tastes very exotic.

Olivia

Lydia said...

yes Olivia, Cilantro is used in many maxican dishes, as well as asian dishes. I grow this herb in succession all summer long, so it's always readily available to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lydia,

I am looking forward to getting the package of cilantro/coriander seeds you are sending me.

The picture of cilantro looks interesting. I have always used dried, ground leaves of coriander until now.

Olivia